If you happen to have an enthusiastic side towards good food, then you must have a good idea what a cowboy cut rib eye steak is. In case you are not, it is the thick cut of a rib eye with a piece of the bone still in the meat. Rich in flavour, these steaks are full of protein and contain Vitamin B and Zinc. But knowing the composition and the taste is just not enough unless you have a good idea on how to cook the steak. Although grilling is the most common and widely used method, some people prefer the broiling or pan-frying methods of cowboy steak preparation.
As mentioned earlier, the most popular technique i.e. grilling is completed in five simple steps. However before you even begin, make sure you have the basic ingredients required for the preparation. In this case, a gas grill is mandatory followed by other minor requirements such as salt and pepper for taste, seasonings and aluminum foil for serving and most importantly four pieces of cowboy cut rib eye steaks.
Once everything is in place, you can begin with the ‘how to cook a cowboy steak’ part. Make sure you have the steaks washed in cold water before hand. Also season the steaks with salt, pepper and other ingredients of your choice in room temperature for 30 minutes and heat the grill to a cooking temperature of 425 degrees. Let us have a look on the basic methods now,
- Place the steaks on the grill and cook according to your taste. The time needed to cook varies for each taste. Usually it is four minutes for rare, seven minutes for medium and nine minutes for a well done steak.
- Remove the steaks and serve them on a plate once you are sure of the taste you wish for.
- The steaks are to be wrapped in aluminum foil and allowed to rest for approximately 10 minutes for the best taste.
In case you do not own a gas grill and are wondering how to cook a cowboy steak, we certainly have the answer for you. Pan Fried and Broiling are two such methods by which steaks can be cooked without a gas grill. For the pan fried preparation you need to wash the steaks and season either sides with not only salt and pepper but also garlic, thyme and rosemary. Following are the pan frying directions,
- Take a skillet and heat olive oil at a medium-high temperature. Place the seasoned steak in it now but be careful as the hot oil may splatter!
- Cook the steak on either side for a period of four minutes for rare, five minutes for medium and nine minutes for well done. Allow the meat to rest for a few minutes before serving.
However for broiling, you need to sear both the sides of the seasoned steaks or two minutes in medium-hot olive oil. The skillet is to be then placed in the oven and hence broiled for approximately 5 minutes. You also need to broil the other side of the steak for the same amount of time before serving the meal.