Wednesday 20 March 2013

Exploring The Little Known Facts Of a Lobster



The mighty yet mysterious creatures of the dark oceans have often stirred curiosity in me. Though not a seafarer by profession; I was often taken aback by exciting new facts that generated direct from the deep seas. Though lobsters have quite been a part of my weekend platter,  I have rarely explored the myths and facts that center round these exotic crustaceans. The shell-fish has already derived a name in Latin. 

Image Courtesy:http://goo.gl/S6nyq
Last weekend, while I was busy exploring new seafood ideas I had almost stumbled upon a link that led me straight to some amazing lobster facts. Believe me!! I was completely floored by what was published on the site. Right now, I feel like sharing those facts with you because I just don’t seem to have any control over the butterflies that are still fluttering inside my stomach. Whether you read it or not, I am here to reveal these amazing facts about lobsters, the king in the crustacean family. 

These beautiful sea-creatures have their body covered with a hard shell. However the shell tends to get softer at the area where the body parts join. Such particular characteristic adds to the flexibility of the crawly monster. 

Lobsters usually have a pair of compound eyes and antennae positioned right on top of their head. They help these sea-creatures detect threat and food. A lobster’s nervous system is primitive in nature; these crustaceans often do not feel pain while being killed. Since a lobster brain lacks the presence of the cerebral cortex, it is quite natural for them to not feel any pain. 

The crustaceans are generally quite territorial by nature; they tend to become aggressive while encountering with one another. Generally the claws are considered weapons with which they fight. Did you know that lobster blood don’t reveal any color? The blood is generally white in color and often turns slightly pinkish when exposed for a long time. The lobster with a single claw is generally referred to as cull; and the one which has no claw is termed as pistol. 

Goodness!! I was thrilled to read that if a lobster loses its claw or eye, it has the capability to grow a new one.  While chancing upon such interesting facts I also learnt about Maine lobsters. Amongst the different lobster species, those from Maine taste the best. There are some amazing and unexplored facts about a Maine lobster that I want to share with you. 

These lobsters tend to be healthier and meatier than those picked from other places of the world. Maine lobsters possess a pair of large claws that are full of fresh meat. Additionally, Maine picks are known to taste somewhat sweeter than the spiny variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment